Wednesday, September 26, 2012

strength for my day

I am standing in the church stairwell waiting for my day-of wedding coordinator to come tell me it's time. I am strangely calm, even though I am dying to get out there and see my handsome groom, and all the smiling faces of those I love. 

And then it hits me - just how many faces are out there. And that I don't get to hold a ceremony order; it needs to all be in my head. And I just noticed my roses got red on the front of my gown. And I've never kissed before in my life and how will it look?? Suddenly I am getting butterflies when before I was perfectly calm. 

And just at that moment it comes. One of the sweetest verses of Scripture is on my lips. To my knowledge I've never consciously memorized this verse, but God brought it to me just when I needed it.

It has become my theme even now as I'm into my third week of married life. Its truth is sure in the split-second, the 24-hour day, or the 90-year life. 

And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed. 

{Deuteronomy 31:8}


Really there are three in our marriage, for our God is always with us. We don't face bills or stress or anything else alone. The truest joy I believe is found when we take God at His Word and then hope. The eager-expectation kind of hope. When you know what He promised is coming. 

I walked down the aisle that day with this verse on my mind. Today I may not be in a wedding dress with my hair all curled; I may be chopping up taco toppings instead of cutting a wedding cake, but the same strength I needed then I need today, and I know my God provides abundantly. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Rachael :-). I need that verse today. Very encouraging post :-).

    ReplyDelete