Chris and I were married 2 months ago today. And yes, it does feel like it has flown by, as we've stayed very busy since then.
I wanted to list some of the things marriage has taught me so far.
- Be the first to say you're sorry. Don't wait for the other because "he started it" or "what I said was justified," etc.
- Everybody is selfish, including you, so recognize the areas you're putting yourself first and work on putting the other ahead of yourself.
- Talk about expectations - in ANY area! You never know what you'll discover about each other's expectations. Some need to be dumped, some need to have a reality check, and some perhaps can be fulfilled by the spouse in a tender way, drawing the two closer together.
- Communication is key! Talk to your spouse about everything, from silly to serious.
- If you're exhausted, odds are your spouse is too. Go the extra mile and do one sweet thing for him before going night-night.
- Be observant of his desires, even small ones. He notices when you pay attention to his wishes, even if he just mentions them in passing.
- Don't make deals. ("I'll do this if he does this.")
- Pray for each other fervently. You know the most about your spouse next to God. Pray like it!
Those are just a few of the things God is teaching me through this wonderful relationship called marriage. I love you, Christopher, and am so thankful God brought us together! :)