Monday, December 17, 2012

In which I share my own opinions, and those of another's.

There's no question that The Hunger Games is one of the biggest crazes going on right now, in both film and literature. I will admit I had a strong interest in it when it was first becoming pop. The romantic and anti-governmental themes throughout made it a strong curiosity for someone like me who rates Animal Farm as one of her top favorite books. I even got it from the library and started reading it. But I knew I shouldn't. Because hadn't my parents and my pastors and my teachers and God taught me that "it's never right to do wrong to do right"? Suzanne Collins had a good idea: write a series attractive to young adults that brings attention to the corruptness of society and leadership, and perhaps spurs them on to find a way to make a difference and make their voices heard. But she first had to make the series attractive. What sells these days? Violence - check. Hate - check. Loose romantic relationships - check. Alcoholism being made light of - check. The list goes on. I found my hopes of an okay story drowning in way too many non-negotiables. I mean, even Katniss's love for Peeta turned out to be phony by the end of Book 1. Oh sorry, did I ruin it for you? :P Anyway, needless to say I felt like the only person on the face of the earth who disagreed with the picture as a whole and decided to steer clear. Just today I found and read this article. As the author says, "If you can't take it, don't read it." In it I found several sentiments similar to my own, and I appreciated her taking the time to put into words some opinions that hopefully will ring a bell in our Christian hearts. Please read it if you're interested.

P.S. - I realize that several of you who will read this have read, seen, and loved The Hunger Games. I also realize that there are different limits for everyone, and what's not okay for one is okay for another. I read most of the book and have seen several clips of the movie, and for me the Holy Spirit said no based on principles of truth and separation. I'm not trying to tell you what's right and wrong; I'm simply sharing my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment