Tuesday, November 1, 2016

30 Days of Gratitude / Day 1

Pinterest. The site where many, like myself, pin these catchy 30-days-of-whatever charts full of motivation and great ideas. We think we'll implement them. We really do. But I betcha more often than not they end up on a board completely forgotten about, with hundreds of other motivational pins burying them deeper and deeper. 

A few months ago I pinned this one, thinking it'd be a fantastic way to get myself all in the thankful mood leading up to Thanksgiving. This is how together I had myself, guys: I set a reminder in my phone calendar, AND wrote it in my planner. Serious halo. 

So here I am. Day 1 of 30 Days of Gratitude. It's a weird one to start with.
What smell are you grateful for today?
Seriously, guys? You couldn't break me in with "What person are you thankful for?" or even "What food are you grateful for"?? Who made this, anyway? Whatever. Here goes. 

I am thankful for the smell of dinner being cooked right here at home, either in the oven or on the stove. Here's a picture of what I got to smell (and eat) tonight:

It was totally as yummy as it looks! Lots of reasons why the smell of dinner cooking causes me to be thankful.

1. It means we have food. Might sound kind of obvious, but there is an unbelievable amount of people that either are going hungry tonight or don't have enough food to be adequately nourished. Not to mention many people still don't have access to or can't afford to buy organic products, so the fact that we're able to is a blessing in itself.
2. It means there's family to cook for. I often think of those that live alone, or the majority of modern families now who live in the same house but live their separate lives. Eating dinner together as a family is a lost art and joy. I am so thankful that almost every night I get to enjoy good food with the best people in my life! (And boy the convos around the table are a blast!)
3. It could mean someone is prepping and cooking for me. Mom and I share the dinner-making load now, so at least 3 days out of the week she's on dinner duty, which means the fantastic smell wafting from the kitchen is coming from her time, forethought, planning, and effort. I hope my grateful thoughts don't just stay in my head, but get turned into a verbal thank-you!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, just was asked about your Grandmother; so I looked her up and saw that she "graduated" to her home with Jesus. You may or may not recall your family's time in Clemson SC . Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember you and your family! My grandma spoke of you often. I miss her terribly but I am thankful she is no longer in any pain and is enjoying heaven! Thanks for saying hi!

      Delete