Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Being Mortal (Atul Gawande) - book review

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the EndBeing Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The tears on my cheeks have not yet dried as I type this. I did not have many expectations going into this book, but still, its making me cry was certainly unexpected. I'm crying for many reasons.

- This book was written so beautifully, tastefully, carefully, sacredly. Atul held a painful subject in his hands and gently made it graceful.
- I am so personally drawn to ministry to the elderly and dying, and this book made me even more eager to search out ways to be of help.
- My grandma would have loved this. Many of the scenarios presented throughout the book were ones we went through with my grandma, and I couldn't help but admit it hit close to home. She always hated the thought of losing her independence, of being put in a home, of hanging out with the "old ladies," of, frankly, dying. She always wanted to volunteer to make those on their way out feel that they have a friend. I remember her telling me, "People always celebrate and make a big to-do about a baby entering the world. But where are the people helping people leave it?" As I said, she would have heartily agreed with Atul's thoughts, and I cry because if only I had discovered this book sooner. :(

This might not look like your cup of tea, but I do feel like everyone should read it. We all will die someday, and perhaps already know someone dying, and this book will give you a good starting place to encourage and prepare for the final days and decisions. I need a copy of this on my shelf. Definitely want to read again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment