Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It was a potato chip kind of day.

Today I had a fairly-good-sized list of things with which to keep me profitable . I needed to practice, and make Dad's cookies, and scrub the tub, and read my convicting yet inspirational books, amongst other things. I had plans to knock all this stuff out in a row. To maybe even finish everything with some energy left over. Ha.

By 10 A.M. this morning, all I had accomplished was keeping Mom company at breakfast time and taking a 2-hr nap. This, as you know, is not a profitable start.

I am not the kind to remain unaffected psychologically by a non-profitable start to a day.

I got discouraged, and repeatedly groaned, "This is NOT a good day." "This is a SLOW day." "This is NOT going how I planned AT ALL." My family listened to me. It's not like they've never heard these declarations before. But my mom decided to say something about it. She did not let me off the hook job-wise. She encouraged me to get my stuff done and not to waste time, BUT she did admonish me to be flexible. To accept the fact that some days are meant to be taken slowly. Some days just kind of slip through our well-meaning and list-making fingers.

And sometimes, because we take them slow, we find these days full of treasures because we are forced to take the time to see them. To notice them. To thank God for them.

I realized this as I sat at my kitchen table eating the last of Mike's BBQ chips. I was having a good conversation with Mom. I treasure these conversations with her. I realized this as I played a soaring piano accompaniment to the bang of the snare drum. I treasure my piano/snare drum sessions with my sis. :) I realized this as I chatted with a dear friend who leaves soon to return to college. I treasure the now-more-scarce time with my best friends. I realized this as I watched the big flakes of snow fall and fall out there in the blustery. I REALLY treasure gorgeous snowy days (when I don't have to drive in it!) The list of treasures goes on.

And in case you were wondering, I got about 99% of my tasks completed by the end of the day today. Yahoo! But I am thankful for the slower day I had in which I could notice and enjoy the little treasures I have here around me in the safe haven I call home.

Notice any treasures today? I'd love to hear about them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment