- Sing all. See that you join with the congregation as frequently as you can.
- Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.
- Sing modestly. Do not bawl, so as to be heard above or distinct from the rest of the congregation, that you may not destroy the harmony.
- Sing in time. Whatever time is sung be sure to keep with it. Do not run before nor stay behind it...and take care not to sing too slow.
- Above all sing spiritually. Have an eye to God in every word you sing. Aim at pleasing Him more than yourself or any other creature....attend strictly to the sense of what you sing and see that your heart is not carried away with the sound, but offered to God continually.
~ John Wesley