Tuesday, June 4, 2013

recently read

Just before the wedding and embarking on this two-week adventure with the kids, I got some major reading done. Many thanks to all of you who suggested some of your favorites! I'm still working on the list, and will post about those after I've finished them. :) For now, here are the ones I read, and my interpretation and rating.

  1. Ellanor's Exchange by Linda Hayner. Basically, a girl goes to live with the queen's lady-in-waiting in hopes of landing a rich husband with a title, and ends up getting caught in a confusing political scheme that threatens treason. The main character came across as very underdeveloped, I got lost in the political strategy, and it lacked in romance. Totally. Like, even at the end, she's like, "Oh, I dunno" to the ONLY possible guy option. My rating: 2 stars out of 5. 
  2. Lord of the Flies by William Golding. This was of interest to me because anything sort of allegorical and symbolic of the present-day corruption and progressive decay of society perks my curiosity. What's that quote about those that forget history are doomed to repeat it? Anyway, this definitely fit the bill. Very symbolic, sometimes confusingly so, but the author did a fantastic job portraying very deep, dark stuff in such a basic, almost childlike way. That being said, this was, I'm afraid, the second most disturbing book I've ever read in my life. (The first being A Light in the Forest.) Do not read it if blood makes you throw up. Anyway, 3 stars out of 5.
  3. The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. This was recommended by my sister-in-law, Amanda. This was a fun, difficult read. A Robin Hood type story. VERY slow reading, due to the heavy use of majorly old-fashioned English and vocabulary. Loved it, though. Action-filled and sweetly romantic. 4 stars out of 5. 
Like I said, I'm still working on the list I was given by various people, but seriously, if you have a fiction fave, send it along! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment